Thursday, February 5, 2009

Night and Day

Before the baby was born, I anticipated many long sleepless nights when the little guy just wouldn't settle down. So far, I'm happy to report that our nighttime routines have not lived up to this image. In fact, to some extent, I find that the nights are almost easier then the days.

At night there are three things that I need to do: check his diaper (I quickly learned to do this first thing when he wakes up), nurse him, and get us both back to sleep as soon as possible. To accomplish these tasks I've found that it is best to keep the rooms dim. I have a three-way light in his room, which I turn to the lowest level. Then I nurse him in my room in the complete dark, then it's directly back into the cradle. This has worked so far. He sleeps three or four hours at a time. We're even able to get through a few nursings without Kevin even stirring in his sleep.

Days, on the other hand have been a greater struggle. In between nursings, changings, and naps he's actually awake sometimes. It's during these times that I wonder, "What should I do with this kid?" So far, I've discovered that he likes to be sung to and listen to music. Green Day is his favorite; he doesn't like Stevie Wonder. Just like his Dad, he likes to be on the go. He loves riding in the car, his stroller, and his Ergo baby carrier. He also really likes the vacuum cleaner. I may now have the cleanest floors in the neighborhood.

No comments: