Monday, October 13, 2008

The Potty Post

This post has been a long time in the making. For the last year I have encountered many bathrooms worthy of a photograph. More often than not I don't have my camera with me on these visits, but since being a tourist is my current occupation, I've had it with me enough to document a few of the most interesting restrooms that I've found.

And so, without further ado, here is my collection of favorite restrooms...

The bathrooms in Germany are generally super clean -- even the public ones on the autobahn. Here's a video of how some of these rest areas stay so fresh with self-cleaning toilets.


Though you hear stories about a hole in the ground, I've only seen one of these "toilets" since we moved here last October.

The French have so much style. Here, even the toilet is fancy.
In Ghent, Kevin and I saw these pods and I had no idea what they were at first.
Then, after we figured it out, I asked Kevin to demo it for the picture. He never actually used this pod, though we saw lots of men who took advantage of them during street festival we were attending.
You'd never believe that this is the bathroom for a very pleasant creperie in Paris. Entering the restroom was like going into a whole different world.


This picture documents the craziest sink I've seen.

3 comments:

G in Berlin said...

Strangely, all the restrooms I have found on the Autobahn (not at the gas stations- te rest stops) have been so disgusting that I make my husband take out daughter so he can physically hold her above the stink. I'm glad your experiences have been better!

C N Heidelberg said...

I've never seen the hole-in-the-floor kind, only heard stories!

Erin said...

G -- We always stop at the rest areas with gas stations and food. The bathroom costs 50 cents, but I think it's worth it. The ones that are just WCs are terrible.