Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Life as an Expat: Easier But Still Not a Breeze

I've been in Germany now for over one year. Time certainly has flown. It seems like just yesterday that I was getting off the plane, not knowing what to expect.

Day-to-day life, of course has settled down into a series of repeatable routines. Small interactions no longer cause the panic that they once did. I can now understand the postman when he's asking me to sign for a neighbor's package. I can order in a restaurant and ask a shopkeeper for help. I can figure out which train ticket I need to purchase depending on where I am going. (I only recently learned that I was buying the wrong class tickets. For a year I have been getting by on cheaper rides then I should have.)

But, I am still constantly surprised by what I still don't know. Our T.V. receiver was out for the past few days since I couldn't read the instructions about how to replace the card that determines what service I have. I still don't have voice mail set up on my cell phone or have a home answering service. And how the medical system works is still a complete mystery.

1 comment:

G in Berlin said...

Well, there's a meme to start with. It's been just over a year for me as well, so I think I'll take an evening to think about how I feel here vs home (and I do still think of it as home). Both the country and the people.