Friday, October 24, 2008

Hay, Why Not Stay Here in Germany

There was an article in the New York Time's travel section this week that I feel the need to share. It's about what I think should clearly be called "extreme ecotourism." I'd love to know if any of my more adventurous readers in German have ever tried it. And for my non-German readers, I think this will underscore a point that I've been making throughout the last year: that the German's are really, really green.

So, you're wondering what's the hitch, right? The "hotels" discussed in this article are not actually hotels, but farms that have open their doors to travelers. This concept is not new. Throughout Italy and France there are stories written about travelers who stay in charming farmhouse accommodations, with sheep bleeping and cows mooing just beyond the door.

In German, apparently, instead of staying in the farmhouse, guests really connect with life on the farm by sleeping in the barn. Not barns converted into guesthouse, but barns...with the sheep bleeping and cows mooing right there. And, what makes these farm-stays even more surprising is those guests don’t even have beds. Called Heuhotels, which translates to English as hay hotels, guests sleep in loft filled with the cut grasses.

This really gives a whole new meaning to hitting the hay!

No comments: