Thursday, March 12, 2009

Vermiculture Shock

One thing that I loved about Bonn was the city-run composting program. We simply sorted our biodegradable items, called "biomüll," into a small garbage can and then put into the building's green trash bin. It didn't take long for me to realize how much less garbage we produce when we were compositing.

Upon return to the states I knew I didn't want to go back to my old ways. Throwing away all of those vegetable peelings, egg shells, and coffee grinds really seemed like a waste. That's why I decided to set up a worm box.

The project was easy. All it took was a large plastic bin, a pound of worms, and some newspaper. I drilled holes into the top, sides, and bottom of the bin to allow air in and excess liquid out. I placed the bin on one-inch blocks, allowing for circulation around the bottom of the container.

I had read that I should be able to find the worms at either a garden center or bait and tackle shop. However, my local garden center doesn't carry worms and I have no idea were a bait shop is. Instead, I ordered a pound of the "composter's blend" from Blue Ridge Vermiculture, which was made up of half red worms and half European night crawlers.

The company sent an e-mail when my worms were shipped, so I knew to keep an eye out for them. The worms arrived in a USPS flat rate box labeled "LIVE WORMS DO NOT FREEZE." (I wonder what my postman thinks of me now.)

To create bedding for the worms, I shredded some newspaper, moistened it, and placed it in the container. To that I added the compostable material that I had collected the previous week. Now, I just have to sit back and wait for my worms to turn what we would have thrown away into rich, dark soil that I can use for my plants.

4 comments:

RosieNia said...

wow that is cool and interesting!!

coco said...

sehr geil!! und ökologisch.

C N Heidelberg said...

When we visited Seattle in 2005 (?) these were a really really hot new thing everyone was doing. (Instead of regular composting I guess.) But I never met anyone in Boston who did it. Has it spread more throughout the country now?

CNG said...

You make sense out of the most complex topics.Clickjacking