Monday, March 23, 2009

Carrboro Farmers' Market

I love a farmers' markets. For me, the perfect Saturday morning involves a trip to pick up seasonal veggies, freshly baked bread, and perhaps some artisanal cheese or pasture grazed meat. I'm one of those people who will brave freezing temperatures and pouring rain to support my favorite farmers. Everywhere I've lived -- New York City, Bonn, or Raleigh -- finding a market is part of what makes the location feel like home.

In Raleigh we have frequented Raleigh's NC State market. The market is quite nice with a covered pavilion and adjacent building with additional vendors selling local and regional goods. Yet it lacks a community feeling.

Set apart from a neighborhood the market attracts people from all over the city. This is good for the farmers, but leaves the market without a distinct identity. Also, with the exception of a few vendors -- including a German baker and an Irish guy who sells exceptionally good butter lettuce -- most of the vendors here sell exactly the same stuff. There is always an abundance of kale, collards, and sweet potatoes, but I have yet to see many specialty items indicative of many small farmers I have seem in the past.

Wondering what other markets are like in the region, this week I decided to try something different. The Carrboro farmers markets, located on 301 West Main Street in Carrboro, is one of the regions best know. Open year round, it has been in operation for thirty years.

To support this longevity, the markets must be fiercely supported. Walking through the field and small pole barn next to the Carrboro town hall that makes up its home that community was prevalent. There was lots of interaction between the farmers and their customers, many of whom greeted each other like old friends.

Also, I was impressed with the variety of produce, meats, baked goods, and cheeses offered. Among the items I purchased were fresh garlic, spinaches, andouille sausage, and whole wheat bread. Everything was exceptionally good.

Though it may be too far of a drive for every week, I am looking forward to visiting the Carrboro markets again. Once the spring and summer crops start to come in I am sure there will be lots of wonderful treats.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Erin, I strongly encourage you to visit the downtown Raleigh farmers market. It is wonderful! It's held every Wednesday from 10:30 - 2:00. Great local organic farmers, bakers, dairy, flower, plants, etc.

I go every week, it's my main source of produce throughout the summer. This season started last week, on the 15th of April.

Maybe I'll see you & Lucas there. :)

CNG said...

Your contents are too simple to read and easy to understand.Clickjacking