Monday, April 6, 2009

Old Yeller

Last week I noticed a thin layer of dust on the car and knew it was coming. After this weekend I can say that there is no doubt about it: yellow season in Raleigh has arrived with a vengeance. On Sunday we went for a walk in the late afternoon, and by the time we returned home less then an hour later the entire stroller was covered with the yellow film.

This phenomena came as a complete shock to me the first spring I spent down here. I couldn't believe the amount of pollen in the air. You can actually see the pollen in the air, moving around as the wind blows. And, after it rains, the streets glow with a neon film of pollen.

The yellow pollen comes from the region's pine trees, which (ironically) are the state's official tree. Although I've been told that this yellow pollen doesn't trigger allergies, I can confirm that it does cause same irritation. I can't walk around outside during this time of year without feeling sticky and gross by the time I get home.

Also, I find it completely irritating that I can't open my windows until the pollen subsides. If I do, I'll be vacuuming yellow dust from my carpet and furniture for the rest of the summer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

who says it doesn't cause allergies?

Erin said...

I read it in a few places. For a full explanation check out this articel:

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20090330/articles/903309965

CNG said...

You make sense out of the most complex topics.Clickjacking