Thursday, April 24, 2008

Beer Garden Salad

Knock on wood: I think the weather has finally turned the corner and it is 100 percent spring, spring, spring. The world is green, accented by splashes of pink, purple, yellow, and red as little thank-you gifts for wait out the long, gray winter. And, perhaps most exciting, the beer gardens are in full swing.

Yesterday I decided to enjoy the warmth and sunshine with lunch on the Rhine. With its half-timer building, buxom blond waitresses, and gingham tablecloths, the restaurant that I chose did a fine job living up to my vision of a stereotypical German beer garden. Though I've seen people sitting outside from time to time throughout the winter, yesterday was the first day that a crowd was gathered.

Though the food wasn't particularly impressive – I had a salad with feta and green olives – it didn't really matter. It was just so nice to be outside, watching the boats and savoring the thought of many more days like this one.

No comments: