Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Craving Home

Here's a note on traveling to another country verses living abroad: When I travel I want to soak up as much of the local experience as possible. I shun anything that seems too "American" or is readily available in the U.S. But while living away, I sometimes need to be reminded of home. These cravings often manifest themselves as wanting a specific food.

Last weekend Kevin satisfied his taste for home with a cheeseburger at Green Hill, a local Irish pub that could be transplanted to New York without changing a thing. For me, I wanted a bowl of spicy chili with cornbread. The problem was, I haven't seen cornmeal in a German supermarket. So, my hankering when unsatisfied. (Though I did make a mean pot of turkey chili.)

Then, while walking to my German class I discovered a Bio Markt, an all-organic health food store, right in the center of Bonn. I could have sworn I heard angels playing their harps as I walked in. Not only did I find cornmeal — they had three different brands to choose from!

With only five minutes to spare before class, I did a quick walk through. As a resident, this is my new favorite place. They stock the mother-load of products missing from my roster of dishes since moving. In addition to cornmeal I found temphe, seitan, nori, sushi rice, and quinoa. I can't wait to go back when I have more time to see what other hidden treasures are sitting on their shelves.

No comments: