Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cologne's Dom

I have to admit that Cologne is not my favorite city in Germany. Sure, it's a big city and has lots of big-city amenities like plenty of restaurants, shopping, museums, sporting events, and an arena that attracts the countries biggest tours. But, it lacks the quaintness and charm that I have found in small cities and villages.

Despite my feelings, though, no visit to the Rhine region would be complete without a trip to the city. And the city's crown jewel, the Cologne Cathedral, should not be missed. Every time I had visitors staying with me, one day included a tour of the cathedral.
It was not different when my Mom, sister, and niece stayed with me. This was the third time I took the English tour, which meets in the back of the church and is offered daily at 11:00 AM and 2:30 PM. I was fascinate that each time I took the tour the guide focused on a different aspect of the church -- once the history and architecture, once the significance on the relics, and once on art and art history.

The cathedral receives thousands of visitors each day. Some come as tourists to see the church that stands as a symbol of national unity. Others come as Pilgrims to pay homage to the relics of the three Magi, which are housed in a giant gold reliquary behind the main alter.
At times during the trip, I felt bad for my niece. Touring Europe with her sometimes slightly geeky aunts and grandmother meant that “teachable moments” were not passed up. But, with so many great lessons presenting themselves, we just couldn’t help ourselves. The cathedral tour inspired a discussion about Pilgrims.

With Thanksgiving only a day away, the American Pilgrims were in the forefront of our American minds. Yet the discussion of Pilgrims coming to the church to visit the relics of the three Magi lead to a lesson about what exactly made someone a Pilgrim.

No comments: