Thursday, December 11, 2008

To Grandmother's House We Go

My maternal grandmother was born in Blieskastel, Germany in a small town in Saarland. Though I had tried several times during the time that I was in Bonn to connect with a distant cousin, I hadn't made it down there. That's why when my Mom, sister, and niece were visiting we decided to make the trip even though we we're able to see any of the family who still lives in the town.
There isn't much going in Blieskastel. A few houses, a couple of restaurants, and a bus stop. That's about it. Still it was nice to see the town where my relatives live. We even managed to find the house were my grandmother was born.
After driving through Blieskastel we decided to head to it's bigger neighbor, Lautzkirchen. Slightly more happening then Blieskastel, Lautzkirchen is still far off the tourist grid. The sleepy little town was setting up its Christmas market while we walked through. Most of the cafes were quite, and when we finally stopped, we were the only customers in the cafe we selected.
At first I wished we had walked in some place else, but once in there was nothing we could do but order something to eat. The waiter/cook was super nice, and in the end made us a very pleasant lunch. By the end of the meal I was translating for my mother, who struck up a conversation with the waiter. As it turns out, he knew some of her relative who still live in the area.

No comments: