Friday, June 13, 2008

Insurance Gap

Here's a strange quirk of my German health insurance: I am covered everywhere in the world, except in the United States. Why this is totally baffles me. The insurance company said it had something to do with the fact that I am a U.S. citizen. But that serves to clarify nothing in my mind.

Anyway, I'm going back to the U.S. next week for a scheduled vacation, so I headed to ACDC, Germany's answer to AAA, to purchase traveler's health insurance.

Though this wasn't the most exciting trip, what amazed me was that I did the whole transaction in German — including turning down the sales pitch to become a member and holding firm to getting exactly what I expected.

3 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

That's really weird. We have TK and it covered us in the US. Of course the papers they gave us to show in case we needed treatment were all in German, so they might have been useless anyway!

christina said...

Yeah, you do have to get extra health insurance when you go abroad, but so do my German husband and kids when we travel to Canada. German insurance is only good within the EU, I think. The problem used to be that the overseas health insurance we got from our bank only covered them and not me because I was travelling back to my home country and the only place I could get insurance was ADAC. Suddenly things changed and now I can get on the family plan with the rest of them. Go figure.

Erin said...

I wonder if things in Germany will ever start to make sense.