Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Germany Moves on in Euro2008

In recent months I've written a few blog posts* about the fact that I am becoming a football ... err ... soccer fan since moving to Germany. This phenomena has only intensified in recent weeks as all of Europe becomes enthralled with Euro 2008.

Every four years UEFA hosts the European Football Championship. Through some sort of qualifying process that I don't fully understand, 14 teams are selected to participate in the event. The winner is automatically qualified for the World Cup, and gets bragging rights as the best team in Europe.

Germany played a critical match last night again Austria, and will now advance to the quarter finals. What has really struck me as interesting is that this is the first time that I have seen Germans express a sense of patriotism. The German flags, which are not really common sites, are everywhere. The streets are quite during a game, and then erupt with shouting and honking horns when a victory is grasped.

* Other soccer posts are: Cologne Soccer is Fantastic and Soccer Burgers.

2 comments:

Diane Mandy said...

Your making me think I need to give this sport another chance.

Erin said...

You should. I was never a sport fan, but soccer is great because:
* It doesn't stop every two seconds like American football
* It's relatively easy to follow
* The plays are generally very cute