Monday, June 16, 2008

One Day at Superbike Week

For months, it seemed that every outing Kevin and I went on meant we had to drive through the Eiffel. The A1 passes near the town of Nürburg, and posted along the highway was a sign for Superbike Week coming to the Nürburgring.

"Superbike Week" we'd chant. It sounded like so much fun. The Germans are mad for their motorcycles, and what better way to see these vehicles performing at their peek then at an international motorcycle race? Topping off the excitement was the chance to go to the Nürburgring, one of the most famous racetracks in the world.

Understand, I arrive at this frame of mind only after hearing Kevin talk about the race. My initial reaction was that it sounded like a terribly noisy day. But, I figured, Kevin is always willing to go wherever I want (the ballet, endless museums, antique stores) that this was the least I could do.

Turns out, I was right. Though we had a pleasant day being outside and hanging out with friend, Superbike Week didn't live up to our expectations. Not only were the races noisy, they weren't very exciting either. Each section of seats only allowed us to see part of the track and they didn’t have monitors to see what was happening when the race wasn't in front of us. The announcers spoke in very fast German, so that didn't help us to follow the race either.

No comments: