Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Whirlwind Weekend

Since arriving in the states last Thursday, I've had every moment scheduled, maximizing my time here to see family and friends, sampling my favorite foods, and stocking up on supplies you just can't find in Germany.

My father picked us up at the airport and took us directly to Tony's Pizzeria in Middletown, NY. I have been eating pizza here for as long as I can remember and was happy to share the experience with Kevin. Kevin was just happy to have a good pie, since he was talking about getting a slice for dinner long before we touched down.

Even though pizza is popular throughout Europe, I haven't found a place yet that serves up true American pizza. We ordered a large pie with mushrooms and happily ate the big, ol' slices. We ate with our hands, something the Germans don't do, and enjoyed not sticking out in the crowd. (In the picture Kevin isn't eating pizza with a knife and fork, he's trying some of the meatball sub that we also ordered.)

The next morning, we made a stop at the Woodbury Commons. On multiple occasions while abroad, I've had German friends and acquaintances tell me about the "gigantic outlet mall," when they learn that I grew up in upstate New York. I was reminded of these tourists when I heard German announcements just moments after parking the car. And indeed, throughout the morning there was plenty of German for me to practice ease dropping on.

Next, we headed down to Spring Lake, NJ for a wedding of one of Kevin's close friends. The ceremony, which took place on the porch of a Victorian hotel on Ocean Avenue, was lovely. The reception that followed allowed us to catch up with tons of friends. After dancing the night away, we were happy that our hotel was right next-door.

The inn were we slept included a yummy breakfast on the porch, which also overlooked the ocean. Then it was only a quick trip across the street to get to the boardwalk. I trained for two marathons along this stretch of ocean, and my morning walk made me home sick for the Jersey Shore summers of my past.

But there was no time to get nostalgic for Kevin and I had some more old haunts to visit. We had lunch on at the Columns in Avon, Kevin's old stomping grounds. And then, even though I was filled to the gills with Buffalo chicken, drove to Bradley Beach to get smoothies from Fin's.

Armed with a Jersey Girl smoothie, which includes strawberries and peaches, it was time to get back on the parkway. Four hours later, with a sampling of D.C.-area traffic, we arrived in Rockville, Maryland for a visit and dinner with my uncle.

By the time we arrived at Kevin's friend's house in Fredrick later that night we were both exhausted. Thank goodness it was the summer solstice, because Kevin and I really maximized the length of the day.

Sunday, though more relaxing, was deceptively busy again. I went to the lake to play in the water with the kids while Kevin and his friend had some time to go fishing. Then everyone went for a ride around the lake on the boat before heading home for lunch. That's when Kevin and I got back in the car to drive a few towns over to have lunch with his brother and parents. The whole gang then headed back to Fredrick for a barbeque with more of Kevin's high school friends.

Monday morning we left Maryland and headed north to Scranton, PA were we met Kevin's grandmother for lunch. Grandma Helen is an amazing. At 80+ (she made me promise not to tell anyone her real age) she still lives on her own, walks to church everyday, meets her girlfriends for coffee (not Starbuck's, she'd never spend that much for a cup of coffee), and knows how to shop the sales. She's also feisty and funny and is a great role model for how to keep active and fit at any age.

No comments: