Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Cologne Soccer Is Fantastic

Last weekend, while attending my first European football (a.k.a. soccer) match, I was forced to wonder: Why isn't soccer more popular in the U.S.?

The game was super interesting. Even though there is a level of intricacies to following soccer that I have absolutely no comprehension of, the game itself was relatively easy to follow. And, unlike American football, play stops only for injuries so there was action from start to finish.

Lucky for me, this was an important match for FC Köln, the home team. They had to beat rival TSG Hoffenheim in order to move up to Germany's first league.* The RheinEnergie Stadium was sold-out, hosting 50,000 spectators.

The best part of the match was the crowd. I've gone to other sporting events in Cologne, so I knew that the city is home to some dedicated fans. They sing, cheered, beat drums, and waved flags and scarves. At this match, their enthusiasm had me on my feet cheering like a local.

* The German Nation League, the Bundesliga, is divided into two tiers. In order to play in the first league, a team must win a certain number of games per season.

4 comments:

christina said...

Hi Erin! I saw your comment at J's blog and wanted to pop over and welcome you to Germany. There are a ton of expats out there and a lot of them live in your area.

Erin said...

Thanks! I can't believe the number of expat bloggers out there. I am so happy to feel like I'm part of a community. And, I have so much reading to look forward to.

Dixie said...

Hi! I saw you over on J's blog too and I wanted to say hi as well. I've been living in Magdeburg for the past 10 years with my Germany husband. Welcome and I hope you enjoy living in Germany!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the FC Köln game so much. Living in Germany has turned me into a full-time Fussball nut - I'm a diehard FC Bayern-München fan!

J said...

Another 'football' fan here! Even though my team is Bayer Leverkusen, I've been to the Cologne stadiu and think that the atmosphere is fantastic.