Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Urban Gardening

I have a long, thin terrace with nice deep windowsills, which is the perfect place to put in a little garden. Even though I've never had any luck with houseplants, I can't shake this urge to try to grow something.

I know I might be a little late in the season, but the garden has emerged slowly. In January my tiny, potted Christmas tree ended up out there. This spring I planted a few flowers. I had intended to keep them in the house but moved them outside when they wilted and looked like they were going to die. Now they are thriving.

Instead of selling cut herbs, often they are available in pots in the produce section of the grocery stores. I've added a few to the windowsill as I've needed them for a recipe. First it was basil, then parsley, thyme, chives, and rosemary.

Most recently I purchase a few flats of lettuce that I plan to plant in boxes hanging along the railing. Cherry tomatoes are next. I can't wait for the mid-summer salad harvested right outside my door.

No comments: