Friday, May 9, 2008

Bonn's A Buzz

I feel like I've moved to a new city. The dunkle Deutschland* that I've come know seems to be a thing of the past.

We've had over a week of spectacular weather. (Knock on wood.) Everywhere I go I keep seeing new things. Stores and businesses are spilling out on to the sidewalks. And there are vendors everywhere.

Restaurants and cafes are appearing out of the woodwork. Each place has put tables out front — even the little bakery attached to the grocery store. And, since it stays light until almost 10:00 PM, the town seems to be staying open later and later.

The biggest change, though, is in faces. People seem happier, friendly. They walk slower and with the faces up. I'd even go so far as to say that I've seen a few smiles.

* Dunkel Deutschland = dark and cloudy Germany.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The nice Germans we all hear about (but sometimes rarely see) come out when the sun shines. It does make for a nice and refreshing change.
I wanted to say if you are looking for other expats (American and foreign) you can try the AWCC (American Women's Club of Cologne). They recently started a Bonn branch. They have activities for expats during the day and some at night. I am a member (though haven't done a Bonn event yet) and it can be a good way to meet people. For more info go to www.awccologne.org

Diane Mandy said...

I couldn't agree more!

Erin said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I just downloaded the application for the AWCC.