Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy May Day

Recognized as the International Workers Day, May Day is a bank holiday throughout Europe. There are labor protests in some countries, yes, but more often then not it is a day for outings and festivals.

Here in Bonn, today is the first day of Rhine in Flammen, or "Rhine in Flames" in English. There are concerts and performances in the park along the river and the event culminates on Saturday night with a parade of ships and fireworks. Also, I've been told that this is the first weekend that many of the beer gardens will be opened.

As with many holidays May Day traditions have pagan roots. Yesterday I learned about two interesting May Day customs:
  • In France people give each other Lilies of the Valley as a gesture of good luck
  • In Germany men deliver a birch tree covered colored streamers to their love interest
Yesterday we saw a few men with trees or large branches on their cars or in wagons behind their bikes. I didn't have my camera with me, but today I hope to find a decorated tree to add to this post.

As for Kevin and I, we are celebrating the day with a road trip to the Alsace region in France. That means no post tomorrow or Saturday, but I'll update the blog when we get back.

No comments: