Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Excess Baggage

Everything is bigger in the U.S. Highways are wide to accommodate large cars, refrigerators are gigantic to accommodate family-sized products, and apparently the baggage compartments on American-owned jets are more spacious to accommodate all of the luggage that we're allowed to travel with.

The major U.S. carriers — including Delta, American, and United — all have similar luggage restrictions. Passengers are can check up to two bags with a combine weight of 50 pounds (22.3 kg). These same carriers define carry-on luggage as one personal item and one bag weighing up to 40 pounds (18 kg). Even the discount airlines in the States adhere to similar baggage standards.

In Europe, things are very different, especially on discount carriers. This weekend I am flying on Ryanair. When I purchased the ticket I had to select whether or not I'd be checking any luggage, and then was charged 25 Euros for the suitcase. The suitcase must weigh less then 33 pounds (15 kg). Only one carry-on item is allowed, which must be less then 22 pounds (10 kg). And one means one. You can't get away with one plus a purse.

The traditional European airlines don't charge extra for baggage and have more reasonable guidelines, though weight restrictions are still less than what Americans are used to. One interesting point to note: despite limited baggage, you're allowed to bring skis for all flights on Lufthansa to Switzerland.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You'll find the two bags in the US is no more. Now each person is only allowed ONE checked bag and an extra bag is an additional cost. For myself as a parent (who since my children are 2 and 6), am usually traveling with: two carseats, a baby portable bed and a stroller, all of which now count against my one piece of allowed luggage. Even gate checking my stroller when boarding will cost me $25 on some airlines. So will I ever be able to travel domestically in the US again? Not likely. Other than the discount airlines like Ryanair, most EU carriers do allow two suitcases.

Erin said...

Looks like packing light, paying extra, or staying home are quickly becoming the only option available to travelers.

Yesterday after writing my post my husband sent my a link to an article saying that American Airlines was going to start charging for baggage.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=127309

Diane Mandy said...

I recently did a Ryan Air trip and am proud to report I did it with one carry on bag--but only because it was an overnight trip. Still for a 50 euro ticket to Rome, I'll take it!

Erin said...

For 50 Euros, I'd sleep in my clothes and wear them again the next day! Sometimes the deals are worth it.