Thursday, May 29, 2008

Revenge of the Speed Demon

Germans are fickle about their speed limits. When there is no limit you truly can go as fast as you want. When there is a limit though, you'd better watch out.

Proving this point, I recently received my first speeding ticket...ever! Here a cop doesn’t stop you, instead a camera tracks your speed and you receive a wonderful picture of yourself on a ticket a few weeks later. The cameras are all over and you know you've been busted when you see a bright red flash.

The really infuriating part is that my ticket is for going 3 miles per hour over the limit. That's right I was going 36 km in a 30. (In miles, that translates 22 miles per hour in a 19 miles-per-hour zone.) Honestly, I ride my bike faster than that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I recently got my second ticket (hubby has his third already but is very proud of me for getting the first ticket in the new car :). For going 3 km over, 3! 33 in a 30. Agghhhh!

Snooker said...

Ahem... I go faster than that on my scooter!
BUT, when the little red light flashes (hasn't happened so far), there is no plate on the front, so they can't track me!! Tee hee hee!

Sorry that you got nabbed.
Welcome to Germany... even speeders are dealt with efficiently.

Gardner said...

Nice. Definitely have to watch out for that one here. I have had 3 since arriving.