Thursday, October 4, 2007

My New Favorite Store

I found the reason why I want to learn to speak German. It’s the little market around the corner from our apartment. The name, translated into English, is Fleishman's Hot and Cold Dishes. When I walked in I was overwhelmed with the most amazing smell of roasting something. I walked around and peered past the meat counter to the kitchen hoping I’d get a glimpse of something. The only thing that I saw was a stern looking German woman (whom I now think of as “the butcher’s wife).

In addition to the meat case, which also contained some prepared foods and cheese, the market has a small, but well edited selection of grocery. Among the items to catch my eye were a bevy of petite lentils in a rainbow of shades – red, orange, yellow, green, and a deep purplish black.

No comments: