Monday, August 4, 2008

Beer School Session 10: German Cocktails

At most bars, restaurants, and beer gardens in Germany, the beverage menu includes:
  • Beer and Coke
  • Beer and Sprite
Throughout the winter and spring, my German drinking companions largely ignored these items. When I questioned them, I was told that, "It's good." But I doubted it.

I never was with anyone who order one of these concoctions, and only once saw someone drinking it. And that was during Carnival, so it didn't really count as part of "normal" German life.

Then, the weather turned warm and much to my surprise, beer-tails have turned into a popular choice. Made with a light, mild beer such as a kolsch or pils these drinks are supposed to be very refreshing and most often consumed in the heat. I've been told that it's a better way to drink a beer when you are sitting in the sun.

Kevin and/or I have yet to order one of these concoctions, but I think before the summer is over, one of us will have to give it a try.

(P.S.: Sorry this beer school entry wasn't posted on Saturday as usual. I totally forgot this weekend.)

3 comments:

Jen said...

As a new comer to Bonn, the strangest beer concoction I've seen so far is beer(weiße) and banana juice! I'm told it's fantastic but haven't been convinced to try it yet.

Erin said...

Welcome to Bonn!

My husband tried the beer and banana juice combo a few weeks ago. He said it was terrible!

coco said...

Oh my god, I love RATLER! this flavoured beers with coke and lemon juice also with grapefruit... I deeply recommend Bit Copa! an absolute party drink.