Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My New Favorite German Things

While learning how to make Bavarian potato salad, I discovered some new German food items. I think the following, which I've never come across in the U.S., are going to be among the things that I long for when my time in Deutschland is over:
  • Kressi Herbed Vinegar. White wine vinegar spiced with herbs and garden cress. It is made in Switzerland available mainly in the south of Germany, Switzerland, and (I'm guessing here) Austria. Bonners can purchase it at the Metro supermarket, a club store in Sankt Augustin. It has a mild taste and is excellent in vinaigrettes.
  • Maggi Wurze. Also known as Maggi Seasoning Sauce, this dark sauce, upon first taste, is very similar to soy sauce. Made of water, salt, and wheat gluten, it doesn't actually containing soy and is a little less salty.

1 comment:

Schokolade Mädchen said...

Maggi Würz is really good. Especially on rice. It's very popular with African cuisine as well. That's how I was introduced to it - I was so happy to find it in Germany. You can buy it in the States too:)