Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Auf Wiedersehen Deutschland

I've postponed writing this post for a week or so. I didn't want to say anything until it I was 100 percent sure. Now, the tickets are books, contracts are broken, and Kevin and I will be saying "tschüs" to Germany sooner then expected.

There have been rumored changes at Kevin's company for months now. That's why, when a good opportunity back in the states presented itself, we felt like we had no choice but to accept. It was our first act as responsible parents. I'm having a great time living in Germany, traveling to other countries, and tasting as much local food as possible. But when making this decision I need to balance these desires with what would be the best decision for my family. As it turns out, having an income and health insuranceis more important then ever now.

We leave on December 6 and I will certainly be blogging until then. My Mom and sister will be visiting for the last week of the month, so I still have a bit of traveling planned. We also have a lot of get-togethers planned in the coming days. So, there will be plenty to write about.

Also, I expect that I will keep up the blog for a while upon returning back to the states. Even though I haven't been gone for as long as most of the other ex-pats that I've come to know over the last year I do anticipate some culture shocks upon my return. Also, I will keep writing on The Apron Caper, regularly. I still have to eat.

In the meantime, I'd like to say thank you to all of you who have read my blog over the last year. Knowing that someone, somewhere was logging on to read about my travels and experiences has kept me blogging.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are you moving?

Erin said...

Yes. I'm moving back to the states.

G in Berlin said...

I'm glad that the good opportunity came up for you. I certainly understand how the desire for health insurance and a basic safety net become more important after thinking of dependents: I am still getting used to being a single earner family and sometimes feel worried about it in this economic environment. I'm glad you had fun and I'll pop over to your other blog when this one signs off. Hve fun packing (joke;)).

coco said...

I started learning about Bonn with your blog and kept doing so after I arrived, it is sad that this is coming to an end, good luck and happiness with your new family in your new home :))

Anonymous said...

But where in the States?

Erin said...

We are moving to Raleigh, NC.

G in Berlin said...

Well, it's a popular place! My college roommate is there. She was in Carey, but found it sterile and the constant school district re-ordering debilitating (every year) and moved to North Raleigh, which she likes.

Call me A.S for AkiraSabine said...

Hi,

Though it's a short one, I'm glad it was a one year well spent experiencing a new country(and others too). Not many will consider moving to a new country especially when they already have a family.

Bis dann, Gute Fliegen..if only it's used this way...LoL

Jul said...

Good luck with the move and the reverse culture shock. :)