Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Christmas Markets to Open This Weekend

I love Christmas. But I'm also don't really want to see the red and green rolled out until Thanksgiving's leftovers are wrapped in their Tupperware containers. That is I usually don't want to see Christmas before Thanksgiving. This year I'm supper excited for the early bit of holiday cheer.

I have a good reason for changing my Christmas tune. My mom, sister, and niece will be arriving on Sunday and I am excited that they'll be able to see the German Christmas Markets.
Last year I couldn't get enough of the Christmas markets. The food, the gluwine, the trinkets: It was all so cozy and holiday-esque. Last year I loved arriving at a market around dusk, warming up with a mug of spiced wine, then wandering around in the crisp air while doing my Christmas shopping. It was far, far, better then visiting the mall.

Not every market will open this weekend. Some will wait until the traditional opening day, which is the first Sunday of Advent. However, according to Google the Bonn and Cologne markets will open on the 21st of November. This year I am adding the Seigberg Market to my must-visit list. Promising mead and minstrels, the town hosts a traditional Medieval Market. This one wont open until November 29, but that will be a perfect way to end their trip.

No comments: