Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama!!!

I have to postpone my next Prague posts to take the chance to relay the German take on Obama's victory.
For weeks I've been walking around with my Obama pin. In general, it has gone uncommented upon. Today, however, people on the street started talking to me, which in itself is a very un-German activity. They told me how happy they are. Many of them had stayed up late to watch the results on German T.V. or woke up in the wee hours to turn on the radio.

Upon walking into the office today, I was greeted by pats on the back and handshakes. Everyone was so happy for me. They congratulated me. They were happy for themselves as well. When I saw one of the Americans in the office we hugged and all day long talked about what a great day it was.

(Photo (c) The New York Times)

1 comment:

coco said...

even I checked the results by my cell phone in the morning waiting for the train to work, even though I knew his politicts will not be in favor of my country, I was feeling happy for the world, without knowing why...congragulations!!