Friday, November 21, 2008

Ice Hockey in Cologne

I'm not the biggest hockey fan in the world. I have been to two games before -- once at Madison Square Garden to see the New York Rangers, and once at the RBC center in Raleigh to see the Carolina Hurricanes. Both arenas are huge and my seat was high above the ice. I found it hard to see the tiny puck and didn't have a clue about the rules. Players skated on and off the ice randomly and the play stopped and started.
When Kevin asked if I wanted to go to a hockey match in Cologne, my initial reaction was, "Why? We don't like hockey." But Kevin assured me that this time is would be different. Our seats would be close to the ice and we were going with a few people who would be able to explain what was happening. Also, I've had fun at other sporting events here in Cologne. The fans are fantastic. They drum and sing and chant and do the wave. Even if the game wasn't that great, I agreed to go thinking that at least the crowd would entertain me.

Our journey to the game didn't start out good. We got stuck in traffic on the way and missed the entire first period altogether. When we arrived at the stadium, we were hungry and tired and in desperate need of a trip to the rest room. If you had asked me then my prediction about the evening, I wouldn't have been too enthusiastic.

But then, with wurst and drink in had, we found our seat and were treated to a truly great sporting match. The score was one-one when we arrived. In the second period Cologne scored twice, while the team from Düsseldorf scored three times. Early in the third period Düsseldorf scored again and things looked like they were falling apart for the home team.

Midway through the final period, however, the teams started to rally. A fourth goal helped to inspire the crowd, who had been uncharacteristically quiet. With the cheering now at full volume, the team played hard for the last ten minutes, and managed to tie up the game with less than two minutes of play left.

This meant that the game when into a five-minute, sudden-death overtime period. In under three minutes Cologne scored and the crowd when wild. It was the exact perfect ending to an exciting game.

2 comments:

Diane Mandy said...

Wow. I lived in Raleigh and used to see the Hurricanes often. Small word.

In the end, it sounds as if it was quite the game.

Erin said...

I didn't realize you lived in Raleigh. It really is a small world!