Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Multicultural Experience

One of the things that I have enjoyed most about my time in Germany is that I have gotten to know people from all over the world. This was an unexpected surprise for me, since before coming I assumed that Germany was not a very diverse country. Through Kevin's job, my language classes, and volunteering we have met people from Africa, all over Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

And of course, because I love to eat, having a group of friends from all corners of the earth means that dinner invitations are a delicious way to try authentic international cuisines. Last night we were invited to a birthday dinner for an Indian friend from South Africa.

The menu included two types of curry: one with chicken and peas and one with lamb and potatoes. Tanya starts with her own, homemade curry paste, which includes spices mixed by her mother and specially delivered to Germany. Both were spicy, but not overwhelming. (Though they did tell us that they tamed the dishes a bit for our more-sensitive pallets.) Accompanying the curries were basmati rice and three chutneys. The lime and mango chutney added a lot of flavor as well as some more heat.

For dessert we had bread pudding with coconut and apricot jam. The sweet creamy pudding was a perfect counter balance for the spicy entrees.

The whole meal left me wishing I could pack up my international friends and bring them with me back to Raleigh.

No comments: