Saturday, January 17, 2009

Floor du Jour

When we came back to Raleigh, both Kevin and I had projects that we wanted to get done around the house. I really wanted to have shelves and cabinets built in to the space on either side of our fireplace. Kevin really wanted to replace the carpeting in the living room with hardwood. In the spirit of compromise, we decided to do both.

It seems like we are trying to get a lot accomplished in a short time, but it really didn't make sense for us to wait for either project. Since we haven't fully unpacked, it was easier to move everything out of the living room now. Also, we really wanted to get it done before the baby arrived. This way we don't have workers, dust, or noise in our house for the first few weeks.

Today we got the floors installed. They look absolutely wonderful! I could have lived with the carpeting for a while longer, but I'm glad Kevin convinced me to get the floors done. It makes the whole house look bigger and more open.

Here's a before picture:

And after:

Now, if we can just get the shelves painted before the baby . . . the painter is scheduled to come two days after my due date.

3 comments:

coco said...

my landlord is also going to renew the carpeting of my bedroom with wood now, I hope I will also feel like it is bigger adn more open:)

coco said...

definetly looks more stylish

Alison said...

The floors look great! I couldn't help notice the sunshine streaming through the windows and leaves on the trees. It's almost spring, right?