Tuesday, January 6, 2009

German vs. American Baby Doctors

Over the summer a friend of mine suggested that I should blog about the difference between having a baby in the U.S. versus having a baby in Germany. Though I thought it would be interesting to read, I found that I couldn't write about this topic. Quite simply, at that point I only knew the German system.

Now, however, I've gone to a few appointments at my American doctor's office. I can't really say that one is better than the other, but I can say that my prenatal appointments certainly are different. In general I have found that the American doctor's office is much more "medical" looking. It's a big practice with five doctors, nurses, receptionists, and billing people. In Germany I had one doctor in a converted town house. Two nurses, who did everything from answering the phones to taking blood, assisted her.

Here are a few other observations that I wanted to share.
  • At my first prenatal appointment in the U.S. I had to sit with the billing department to discuss the cost that I am responsible to pay. In Germany, I paid $10 a quarter to cover administrative fees. Everything else -- including prescriptions -- was covered by my insurance. *
  • Each appointment in Germany took forever. Since I hit the sixth month mark, the visit started with monitoring the baby's heart rate and my contractions. To do this, I had to lie down for twenty minutes with the fetal monitors. In the U.S. they check the baby's heart rate, but with a hand-held device that measures the heart rate for a few seconds. Whatever number shows up then is the number they record in my chart.
  • At both offices, each visit starts with giving a urine sample. In Germany, the nurse would write my name on a regular plastic drinking cup, which was then placed in the open on a tray outside the bathroom with the other patient’s samples. At my first visit in the U.S., I got a list of instructions about how to provide a "clean sample." The medical-looking cups come with lids and the samples are then placed in a metal box that is accessible to the nurses from outside of the restroom.
  • In Germany you don't get a gown. In the U.S. you do.
  • In Germany the doctor that provides your prenatal care does not deliver the baby. She's not even associated with a hospital. I had to select the hospital on my own. In the U.S. one of the five doctors in the practice that I've selected will be on call to deliver the baby.
  • Six weeks before your due date in Germany you start seeing a midwife, who may be the person to deliver your baby. The midwife will give you a list of foods and teas that you should start consuming to help you through your labor.
  • In Germany you are also entitled to additional alternative treatments to help you feel more comfortable during the last few weeks, such as acupuncture and massage.
* Note: Even though I had government insurance in Germany, I have to note that our monthly costs were more than what Kevin and I had to pay in the U.S., where our insurance was covered by our jobs.

5 comments:

G in Berlin said...

I think that some of these differences are both regional and by choice (except for the gown- gah, I hate not having one here!).
In the US, I had a high-risk dr, switched to a birthing center and a midwife, and gave birth after laboring in a tub. Then I had another child with a "normal" ob-gyn. The experiences were all very different. In the US, my insurance also covered acupuncture so could be used for pregnancy. Here in Germany, the midwife one chooses (and in Berlin one would choose that midwife quite early on) is with one for the delivery, just as mine was in the US. The US is just so variable, I think, while Germany is a bit more consistent.Or it may only be consistent between NRW and Berlin, as they are the only 2 states I know.

christina said...

Very interesting! In reference to G's post - I had both my babies in Germany in Lower Saxony and neither of the midwives I chose were present at the birth - they weren't associated at all at the hospital I registered at. The midwives present at the delivery were the ones on call that day.

Avi said...

Her Erin,

Hope your doing well, now the baby is coming soon! Yes its me Avi, I wanted to share your blog with a friend of mine whom is thinking of moving to Germany! I would say to him to make a 180 degree u-turn and probably go to israel or palestine but that would be unfair! On a more related topic to your article is that when Tanya was in the hospitals too, things were so cold and people distant, where as in South Africa (pretty much like the US) you have a feeling that your in the office space of people who know what they are doing and give personal attention, in Germany your a number!

vicki said...

I have to disagree with Avi. I have found that our doctors in Erlangen, Bavaria, are just as personable and knowledgeable, and sometimes more so, than our doctors in Chicago. Most of our doctors in Chicago were in a hurry to get us in and out fast (probably so that they could see more patients per day), whereas here they take their time. I felt more like a number in the US than in Germany.

Erin said...

I wonder how a patient's ability to speak German affects the level of care. Since my doctor was American and her entire office catered to an English-speaking community, I never felt at a disadvantage. However, my experiences visiting a hospital were different since I had trouble communicating.