Monday, January 12, 2009

Nesting With a Vengence

I've heard that pregnant women experience a need to clean, organize, and prepare their homes for the new baby. Now, throw on top of that natural instinct an empty house and a shipping container full of furniture and you can envision the unpacking frenzy that has been my life for the past five days. From morning to night Kevin and I, along with his parents who volunteered to help, have been working to set up the house.

In addition to simply unpacking our things, we've also decided to make some changes to the house. Our bedroom, for example, is finally decorated. We painted one wall a dark green/brown. (The paint chip is called steamer trunk.) And I (with some sewing assistance from my mother-in-law) built an upholstered headboard.

I had been talking about creating a headboard for a while now. However, since my husband was doubtfully of my vision, the project never came to fruition. I finally convinced him that this was the perfect time to try. And, with about $100 dollars in material invested in the project, it was certainly more appealing then purchasing a bed.

For the headboard we bought a hallow-core door, which we cut to the width of the bed. I then stapled a double layer of extra thick batting to the front and sides. Over that I stapled upholstery fabric. Kevin then drilled picture frame hooks and attached the door to the wall.

I think it looks great!

3 comments:

coco said...

you gotta upload a photo of this, I really would like to know if what I imagine is close to the real one.

Erin said...

I'll upload photos in a bit. I took photos from each step of the process. Now I just need to snap a few of the finished project.

G in Berlin said...

I love your description. It's easy enough that I think we can do it and I think I'll start talking about it tonight. We left our circular saw in the states, but maybe we can have the guys at Bauhaus cut an equivalent for us.