Friday, September 26, 2008

German History Museum

This afternoon I visited the museum of contemporary German history in Bonn, called the Haus der Geschichte. It is one of five museums located along a single section of Bonn known as Museum Mile. One of the most visited tourist attractions in all of Germany, the Museum Mile includes another German history museum as well as international art museum, a German art museum, and natural history museum.

Although I've lived in Bonn for a year (almost) to the day, this was my first trip to any of Museum Mile's attractions. What was I thinking? The museum was great. I should have been there months ago.

First off, though it may seem petty (or cheap), but I love a free museum. Not that I mind paying an admission fee -- I certainly understand the museums are often under funded and need all the help they can get -- but without a fee the pressure is off to see everything. I can instead take in as much as I want, and can come back as often as I want.

Next, even though all of the text within the museum is in German, you can request and English guide from the information desk. The guide can be purchased for six Euros, or you can borrow the desk copy simply by leaving an identification card as a deposit. The guide provided translations of all of the plaques throughout the exhibits.

The museum itself was really interesting. Covering contemporary history, it started with the end of the Second World War. From there it covered the rebuilding of the nation through the destruction of the Berlin Wall and German reunification. The exhibits included photos, video clips, and various ephemera.

I am simultaneously impressed and saddened by the German people's attempt to reconcile their current role in the world with the nation's Nazi past. Whenever the topic of German identity, nationhood, and patriotism is addressed, it seems to me as though the people are trying very hard to remember what happened. Maybe they feel that education is the best way to avoid having similar thought from re-developing, or perhaps it is a kind a penance that they feel they cannot move away from.

It is interesting though, to remember the legacy that this generation is shaping for the future. They have built a strong economy without neglecting social responsibility. Also, German is a one of the greenest nations in the world.

No comments: