Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Expat's Mixed Allegiances

Where did June go? It seems like I blinked and the month disappeared. It’s been forever since my life was normal -- the German version of normal that is. I have so much blogging to catch up on that it will take me a few days to write about my U.S. trip.

Meanwhile, today I want to write about coming home. Last month I blogged about my surprise that, upon returning to German I was happy to be "home." A few days before that I wrote about going to back home to New York.

All this talk about home makes me wonder, where home really is. Is home New York City, where I lived for most of my adult live and where a vast majority of my friends live? Is home upstate New York, where I grew up and where my parents still live? Is home Raleigh, NC, where I own a house? Or is Germany home, where I get my mail and share an apartment with my husband?

Turns out, I think all of these places are home. That makes me lucky. I am able to go home again and again and again.

2 comments:

Jul said...

We talked about the concept of "Heimat" in my German class today. Turns out, I don't really have one... or perhaps I have too many.

Erin said...

Even though I currently think of Germany as "home," I don't know if I'll ever be able to think of myself as anything but American.