Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Moveable Feast

Wondering what I did during my week in NYC? Did I go to any museums? Take in a show? Visit the Statue of Liberty or go to the top of the Empire State Building?

No. No. No and no. I ate.

New York has amazing restaurants and for a week straight it was breakfast, lunch, and dinner with friends at various restaurants throughout Brooklyn and Manhattan.

I ate Mexican food more than anything else. There is no Mexican food in Germany, so I needed to get my fill while I could. I had chicken tamales on Alma's amazing roof deck in Red Hook; ordered from a taco truck in West Chelsea and ate on the roof deck at Martha Stewart's offices (and yes, her roof deck is as nice as you'd imagine it to be); and basically inhaled an order of the fantastic guacamole at Mercadito in the East Village.

Italian, a perpetual favorite, came in a close second. I had an amazing breakfast of toast with ricotta and poached fruit at Morandi in the West Village and pasta with ragu and mini meat balls at Little Frank on First Avenue just off Houston.

Other highlights included salads at La Bonne Soup in Midtown and the Salad Queen in Williamsburg. Spanish-inspired pressed sandwiches at the Oak Wine Bar and Café near the Graham Avenue stop on the L train, and excellent fish at Riingo near Grand Central Station.

1 comment:

Jul said...

Mmmmmmm... I love eating in NYC. Glad you got to enjoy!