Thursday, July 31, 2008

Good Work for a Good Cause

I really enjoyed my first day volunteering for IFOAM. It was nice to get out and meet some interesting people who are trying to accomplish some ambitious goals.

I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but I also really enjoyed going to an office, sitting in front of a computer, and putting together a PowerPoint presentation. Most people I know, people who have to get up and go to an office every day, may question this statement. But, even for a year before I left the states I worked from home. For me, it was a nice change to work outside of my house, with the normal flutter of office activity, people around to answer your questions, and colleagues to walk to lunch with.

I'm going back today. Two days a week should be enough to enable me to enjoy going to an office, without it losing its appeal any too quickly.

2 comments:

Diane Mandy said...

Good for you. I'm a little envious. How did you find and decide on an organization to join?

Erin said...

Actually, I found them by interviewing for a fill-time job in their marketing communications department. One day, out of desperation, I found the posting by Googling "English speaking jobs in Bonn.

When it came down to it, working full time for an NGO wasn't the best option for me. But, I knew that they needed help and had work in my field that needed to get done.

When I offered to volunteer, they happily found some projects to unload.

I wish you luck in finding something. I was starting to feel so disconnected with the community.