Friday, March 14, 2008

Falling for Amsterdam

In October I blogged about how much I liked Amsterdam. After visiting with my parents I can truly say that there is way more to this town then coffee shops and the red light district.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and checked into the apartment that I rented – an adorable little Dutch house off a canal just outside the city center. This was a perfect place to call our home base. I really enjoyed being able to come back, sit in the living room and visit rather then heading to a hotel room. José, the owner, has paired the place down to only the bare essentials. There was no clutter to be found, but everything you could want – nice sheets, maps of the city, a coffee pot, and box of cookies – was included.

We visited the Anne Frank house, touring the rooms where the Frank family and four other Jews hid for more then two years; walked through the red-light district (we had to – we were in Amsterdam after all); and then headed to dinner in the Neumarkt district.

No comments: