Thursday, March 6, 2008

Frühstücken

Frühstück is the German noun for breakfast; Frühstücken is the verb. Therefore, in German, you don't say "I had eggs for breakfast." Instead, you say "I breakfast with eggs." (Although, if you were really speaking German you'd say, "I breakfast with liverwurst," but that's another matter all together.)

Lunch (Mittagessen) and dinner (Abendessen) can also be verbs, but they don't seem as strange to me. These words are the time of day (Mittag is mid-day, Abend is evening) plus the verb to eat (essen).

1 comment:

Irene & Dave said...

Hey Erin and Kev,
Sounds like you're both living it up. I wish I was back in Europe. We both miss the yogurt that has wheat in it. Aldi/Lidl was our favorite place. We took Kev there, and he got a red coat for the winter.