Saturday, March 1, 2008

My Boots Are Made for Walking…

…Which is a good thing because that was the theme of the day!

Kevin had a meeting from eight to one, so I decided to spend the morning at the National Tile Museum (Museu Nacional do Azulejo). According to my guide book, Berlitz’s Pocket Guide to Lisbon,* the museum was “just up the road from the Military Museum.” The Military Museum didn’t look that far from my hotel, so I decided to hoof it. Over an hour of brisk walking up and down steep hills later I finally found the museum. Housed in a convent built in the early 1500, the building is reason enough for the visit.

I then walked back to the hotel (why, I don’t know) to meet Kevin for an afternoon stroll up to Castelo de São Jorge, ruins of a castle on the highest hill in Lisbon.

By the time dinner came my feet and I were super happy that we were staying near Barrio Alto, a neighborhood with more then enough great restaurants to keep me happy.

* This is a terrible book that I wholeheartedly do not recommend. It didn't give actual street addresses, was chocked filled with wrong information about enterance times and fees, and places mentioned in the book were not marked on the map.

No comments: