Friday, March 21, 2008

When You're Not a Tourist

One of my favorite aspects of traveling is eating things that I wouldn't eat in my normal life. The tuna pâté in Lisbon, the lamb pie in Victoria, the wild boar in Tuscany, these were all wonderful surprises. Other times things that I know that I don't like – mayonnaise, yogurt, all other pâté – are hiding in unexpected places and lurking on the underside of a piece of bread.

One of the nice things about living somewhere is that you slowly get to know what to expect and how to avoid items on your do-not-eat list.

The fact that I live in Germany and my father is just a tourist here became abundantly clear yesterday. Butter is to my father what mayo is to me. He can't stand the stuff. How disappointed was he to discover that almost every sandwich in Germany comes lathered with butter on both sides of the bread?

No comments: