Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Getting a Handle on My Brats

Yesterday I showed my parents around downtown Bonn. That meant pointing out all the highlights: the Beethoven House, Munsterplatz, and a trip to Schlemmermeyer, the specialty sausage store.

With the smell of smoky goodness wafting through the air, Schemmermeyer is a tiny shop chocked full with sausages, cheese, and a few home made quiches and savory tarts. Though it is a chain store it still feels authentic and has tons of character.

I’ve been to Schemmermeyer before but yesterday’s visit was especially exciting for me. I actually asked the shopkeeper a question or two. Granted it was nothing complicated, but I now know the reason for the sausage explosion that I blogged about in January. (Those sausages were meant to be boiled, not cooked in a pan.)

We chose to leave with a package of Bratwurst, which we ate for dinner the same way you see them served on the street. That means a long sausage with a tiny little bun that functions more as a handle then as part of a sandwich.

No comments: