Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What I Can’t Say in German

Being able to speak a little German has improved my life here enormously. Simple communications in daily life are no longer a challenge. I am beginning to converse with shopkeepers, can order a meal, and now often understand the announcements on the train.

In my German classes we’ve learned how to politely ask a question. I can say, “may I,” “I’d like,” and “can you please.” What I can’t do is argue. I haven’t learned to say is “no, you’re wrong” or “that’s not correct.”

This is a problem because Germans tend to be very direct people. They don’t beat around the bush, and if something is a problem or difficult they don’t hesitate in telling you.

For example, yesterday I needed to get service done on my car. I was told that the work that I needed couldn’t get done there and was sent home. (This despite the fact that I had an e-mail from the company’s headquarters explaining – in German – the problem.) It took a call to the warranty office, another trip to the dealership, and a call from the warranty office to the dealership to finally convince the “customer service” representative that I was in fact correct. At no time did anyone apologize for the inconvenience.

No comments: