Saturday, February 2, 2008

Discovering My "Almost" Southern Roots

Greens, corn bread, fried chicken, barbequed ribs, mac 'n cheese – these are all wonderful foods that I associate with America's South.

Thanks in part to the January issue of Gourmet magazine – which could have inspired anyone to speak with a drawl and long for a poach swing and pitcher of sweet tea – I now think that I didn't spend enough time in Raleigh to full explore Southern cooking. Maybe that's a good thing though...I wonder if real Southerners would accept me as a Southern cook. You have to admit though, it's a bit ironic that while living in German I've decided that I really want to master the art of making good biscuits.

Saturday represented my first attempt. They weren't perfect, but they weren't a totally belly bomb either. I used what I assume is the German version of all purpose flour, didn't sift the ingredients, replaced the lard for butter, and left off the final brushing of melted butter. Next time I'll definitely add the melted butter because this batch didn't have glossy tops, but otherwise I think I'm on the right track.

Stay posted for round two.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I made another batch. The color was better by brushing the top with olive oil.