Saturday, February 16, 2008

Packin’ Heat

Seriously. If you visit Germany and like spicy food you’d better bring your own bottle of hot sauce. Even restaurants where you’d expect to find some heat – Indian and Thai* – there’s not a lot of kick.

I’ve found some spicy peppers in the local Middle Eastern bodegas, called Marco Shops. Also, there is an Asian store where I can re-sock my supply of Flying Goose hot sauce, which is like Huy Fong Foods rooster hot sauce sold in the states. But, regular German supermarkets leave a lot to be desired in this department.

Yesterday, using the leftover chicken and spinach from the soup from the night before, I made Quesadillas. The salsa that I picked up tasted like cocktail sauce. Fortunately, I was able to pull together a kiwi salsa (recipe below) that included some of the Rooster sauce.

* There is one very good Thai restaurant – thankfully down the street from us. The food is lecker (delicious in German) and the hot dishes are truely hot.

1 comment:

Irene and Dave said...

You're so right about 'packing the heat' - we always had our own supply of hot sauce. I always made home made (spicy) pico de gallo...it always spiced up any dish... :-)