Monday, February 25, 2008

No Country for Watching Oscars

I thought about watching the Oscars last night. Around midnight though, with over two hours to go before they even started, I gave up and when to bed.

My heart wasn't really in it because I haven't seen a single Oscar nominated film this year. Instead, I've been watching German films (sometimes with, sometimes without English subtitles). One of the most interesting films that I've seen was "Der Untergang" (shown in the U.S. as "Downfall," which was nominated for Best Foreign Film in 2005).

This film, which I watched in German without subtitles, is about Hitler's last days. Even though I didn't understand any of the dialog I came away from the movie wondering how to feel about a film that portrayed Hitler as a human. Later I learned that when it was in theaters there was a lot of controversy about the film for that very reason. For me, this was an important German – that sometimes emotions are more powerful then the actual words.

No comments: