Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Bowl...Monday

Kevin (more so than I) was excited to be invited to a Super Bowl party. Who knew that the Super Bowl would be broadcast on German television? The only problem was that it is broadcast live, which meant that the game didn't start until 12:30 AM. Does that make it Superbowl Monday?

But still, I thought it was my duty to make a "traditional" American Super Bowl dish – Seven Layer Dip. The only problem was that serving traditional American food doesn't mean that I made something that I love. Instead of preparing something wonderful and delicious I ended up with a dish that could have come from Ladies Home Journal, circa 1986. My seven layers included: refried beans gussied up with garlic and shallots, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, black olives, cheddar cheese, and hot peppers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My only interest in the Super Bowl is seven-layer dip. According to my own informal poll, despite a number of people throwing and attending parties to watch the game, this beloved classic was nowhere to be found. Thank you for keeping the true spirit of the day alive. It looks gorgeous!

Erin said...

Michael, Thank you for confirming my belief about seven-layer dip. I tried to explain it to the German's but they didn't get it. Also, they thought it was a salad, skipped the chips, and eat it with a fork.

liz said...

erin, you know i love myself some seven layer dip, i love anything cafeteria style, soupy and moist!!
although the gas afterwards is not so much fun.