Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lisbon Without a Plan

Kevin and I had a perfect day in Lisbon: We wandered around, had lunch, got ourselves good and lost, sat on the steps of a statue and people watched, found the ruins of the church we were looking for, and drank coffee at a sidewalk café. For dinner I had a traditional dish of bread boiled in olive oil with shrimp and a raw egg mixed in. It was like the Portuguese version of shrimp and grits.

The city has quirky shops and interesting alleys to explore. The people have great style and seemed happy to be trying out their new spring looks. What really struck me a great about the day was that I didn’t feel any pressure to see everything. I don’t know if that is a result of Lisbon’s low-key attitude, its short list of must-see attractions, or the fact that I didn’t imposing a the same set of expectations I’ve had for other European trips.

Last spring I spent two weeks in Italy. I had an amazing time, but I also came home exhausted. I couldn’t relax because every time we slowed down I felt like we were missing something important. There was so much to see and only two weeks to see it in. In Lisbon though, I was happy to sit, people watch, and soak up the flavor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is in fact the best way to see Lisbon -- unhurriedly. How else are you going to admire the beautiful views from its hilltop viewpoints, or its tiled façades, the decorated pavements, enjoy an old tram ride, etc.? :-) Have a great trip and dont forget to visit Sintra!

Erin said...

Sintra was fantastic! We went there on Saturday.