Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Crepe Mistake

You guessed it, last night I whisked up my first batch of "Dutch" pancakes. (I have inserted quotation marks here because the result was not what I had envisioned – and not Dutch at all.)

Yesterday I poked around the Internet looking for a pannekoek recipe. There was a vast array of options but nothing jumped out at me as the definitive recipe. So, I winged it. The resulting batter was too close to a crepe batter. Don't get me wrong, it was a yummy crepe batter (recipe below), but it was only thick enough to really cook in the bacon* and sautéed apples because I added an extra ladle full of batter.

The real star of the meal though, was the salad. Mache, beets, walnuts, goat cheese, and blood orange vinaigrette (recipe below)!

* I loved the bacon's packaging. I thought it was "so German" until I read the label and saw that it comes from Austria. Anyway, I just had to share it!

No comments: