Thursday, February 14, 2008

Two Hearts Together as One

Don't worry. This is not a cheesy love-metaphor post. It's about the heart-shaped Linzer tart cookies that I made yesterday.

My sandwich cookies, based on Martha's Pecan Linzer Tart recipe, was made with ground walnuts. I used less sugar than Martha since I knew that the raspberry jam I had for the filling was rather sweet. The dough was drier than I expected, but after letting it rest in the fridge it rolled out very nicely.

I had to make a heart template out of cardboard since I couldn't find a heart-shaped cookie cutter in my collection. (What kind of person has cookie cutters in the shape of North Carolina, a t-shirt, and the Cathedral in Cologne, but doesn’t have a heart?)

Kevin called half way through the assembly process and said he was on his way home, which was much earlier than I expected. That meant that I didn't have time to cook and strain the jam. Instead I just spread it on straight from the jar. Also, I didn’t have any confectioner sugar so I ground up the white heart-shaped Valentine candies with love messages on them and sprinkled the resulting powder on instead.

Next time I make these cookies I think it would be yummy to use peanuts instead of walnuts – creating twist on a classic PB and J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with you inginuity. I love that you went with (what I can only imagine is) a classic German cookie.
Happy Valentine's Day to you and Kevin from someone who owns more than a dozen heart shaped cookie cutters, as well as the Cathedral of Cologne.
Colleen