Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cheesy German

My German Tuesday-night routine includes attending the only yoga class taught in English in the Bonn/Cologne area. (I am working up the courage to go to class in German, but I'm not there yet.) I am super lucky because the class is relatively close to my house. The only problem is that it starts at 8:30 P.M.

This means that I have to make an early dinner that's not too heavy. Yesterday afternoon I was in Bonn's downtown shopping district (known as Zentrum in German), so I decided to gather up the fixin's for a salad at the market. (As if I really need an excuse to shop at the farmer's market.) The highlight of this shopping excursion was at the cheese wagon (pictured here). Although the Rochford cheese that I bought was good, my real moment of joy came when I managed to ask, and understand the answer to, what was the difference between the three types of blue cheese sold – in German.

At home my purchases – Rochford, butter lettuce, and Asian pairs – were tossed with caramelized onions and croutons that I made the night before, carrots, and cucumbers. Delicious!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kristin just told me about taking a yoga class in Barcelona. The instructor was against it, Kristin persisted. It turned out to be a guided meditation class...in Spanish. Kristin said lying on the floor with her eyes closed was the longest two hours of her life.
Another cautionary tale brought to you by MQ!

Erin said...

Two hours of "unguided" mediation sounds to me like real, hardcore yoga.